Define BRAHMISM ?

I have read this term at many places in this forum. What is so significant about "Brahmism"?

What acts or traditions in Sikhism, which you think, are directly affected under direct influence of "Brahmism"? e.g. not Eating Meat, not Eating Jhootha etc etc. Let us Enlist them...

I have read this term at many places in this forum. What is so significant about "Brahmism"?

This term is highly misused by Sikhs. Most of the Sikhs use it for person who belongs to Brahmin caste of Hindus but in reality its different if we evaluate its meaning with our scriptures and word of our Gurus.

The term "Brahminical" is usually associated with the ritual-obsessed form of vedic religion and the related caste repression. It is a standard construct in the historical narrative of subcontinent. It has got nothing to do with a person belonging to "Brahmin" caste as such and includes all paradigms and persuasions that justify decadent vedic religious and social practices. A person belonging to lowest caste showing respect for these paradigms and persuasions would as much be labeled "Brahminical". And all Jats, Khatris, Ramgarihas , etc who show respect to these paradigms, conveniently ignoring Sikh injunctions against them, are as much "Brahminical" .

What acts or traditions in Sikhism, which you think, are directly affected under direct influence of "Brahmism"? e.g. not Eating Meat

One who says that meat was not allowed in Hinduism they should read this book as it has all the references from their vedas and smiritis to back up writer's claims that meat was a part of Hinduism so we can't make it a part of Brahminical theory.

Here is the book

http://217.206.205.125/review/holycow.shtml

Meat eating issue within sikhism: I have a great respect for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian as far as they don't force their beliefs on others.

Guest Javanmard

Brahmanism is another word for the Smarta religion. The word smarta is derived from smriti, a collection of religious writings. Under the influence of Victorian and Protestant thinking during the British Raj the term started to have negative conotations. SGPC/Tat Khalsa Sikhs use it in that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Why Sikhs dispute over it...

They need something to hide their own faults.. Gurus were successful to make proper sikh as per teaching in their times but all the rituals or lets just say brahminism came back because sikhs brought it back and now again its a fault of Brahminism... :?

i do not like when Sikhs start saying that something is Brahminical and therefore we should not do it......we should rather say that these rituals are not a part of Gurmat..... :)

we should not indulge in bashing of others faiths or "castes".....

i think Aarti, killing of girl childs, worship of Gurus photos are such 'non-Sikh' acts....

• 3 weeks later...

i do not like when Sikhs start saying that something is Brahminical and therefore we should not do it......we should rather say that these rituals are not a part of Gurmat..... :)

we should not indulge in bashing of others faiths or "castes".....

i think Aarti, killing of girl childs, worship of Gurus photos are such 'non-Sikh' acts....

I agree wid u 100%, i've been a sikh all my life, but, i didn't always hav a full understanding of it, i also used 2 say 2 peeps dat i wasn't too religous. But. My life had changed ever since i jointed my Sikh society in my uni, da tings i felt dat were 2 b tru was in sikhism all da time! My beliefs bout god.

My mum used a serious supersitionist. lol. She believes in all Brahminical rutals, wen i was small she made me bow 2 pictures and i jus acted because i didn't kno, and cuss i was small.

Den i used 2 do idol worship around da time of High skool days. I had nooo benefit from doing dis. Den i went sunday skool, i learned sikhi der 2, den found out dat Idol worship is useless, but, dey said 2 me dat going into showbusiness was Wrong!!?? I kinda felt dat dats not sikhi.

From sunday skool i kinda hated sikhi cus i felt i wasn't allowed 2 do a lot of tings (but now i luv it 2 da bone!). But i didn't really like Sunday skool, i mean peeps where safe der. Den i started moving away from sikhi in a way, but i always used 2 talk 2 god, trying 2 seek answers, i prayed aswell.

Den i started uni, Den in da sec year i jointed da sikh society, cus i felt dat der wasn't dat my sikh peeps @ my uni, den i started 2 hav fun as well. Den i started learing so much more bout sikh, den i started resourceing websites etc. Den da head of da sikh society said 2 me 2 do sum Waheguru simran and if i didn't feel ne ting den he said don't do it again. So i did. Wow. i started feeling goose-bumps etc. i didn;t really understand wot was going on but it felt good but i kno wot it is now. Den i started 2 feel dat god was alround me rather den in stone or picture. But i did start questioning sikhism. I did find my answers from is website!

And now i dont believe in Brahminical beliefs.

Thanks Waheguru 4 ur website. :bow:

I tink we need 2 make learning bout sikhi a fun experince, and not hav dry peeps teaching it.

i think there are many "hindu" or nongurmat tradiations today.

like rakhari , not eating beef (im talkin about JUST beef, they arnt vege)

i know ppl in my city where ppl only dont eat beef, and these are sikhs

when i went to england, i refused rakhari from my cuzins, they thought i was weird...

Does anyone know why we cremate our dead rather than bury them? Is this too under Brahminical beliefs ??

We cremate because thats what we have been doing and this is what our Gurus did. Also, how do you reach to this conclusion that cremation of our dead bodies is brahmnical beliefs?

We cremate because thats what we have been doing and this is what our Gurus did. Also, how do you reach to this conclusion that cremation of our dead bodies is brahmnical beliefs?

What Gurbani has to say about this view... Should it be not the discretaion of the person if wantz to be creamated or buried...? Whatz wrong with buring... Just an afterthought really... :roll: