Punjab Pools 43.5 Pc Wheat In Nation’S Kitty

Punjab pools 43.5 pc wheat in nation’s kitty

Shivani Bhakoo

Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, June 2

Punjab continues to be the grain bowl of India as it has contributed 43.5 per cent wheat to the central pool this time.

According to the recent data with the Food and Supplies Department, Chandigarh, since the procurement process started in 1966, Punjab has pooled the maximum in the nation's food kitty.

This year, the state has pooled 11.5 million tonnes of wheat surpassing last year’s figure of 109 lakh tonnes.

Dr MS Sidhu, a senior agriculture economist at Punjab Agriculture University (PAU), said, "The 43.5 per cent procurement from Punjab is all due to the hard work by farmers, workers and the scientists of PAU who update the farmers on a regular basis.”

A total of 25.8 million tonnes of wheat has been procured this season from the major wheat-producing states. Haryana comes next to Punjab by pooling 6.8 million tonnes while Madhya Pradesh has added 4.29 million tonnes. Uttar Pradesh comes at number four by adding 1.94 million tonnes. Rajasthan has pooled 1 million tonnes of wheat this season.

With this, the country has enough stock to fill empty stomachs. As much as 58.13 million tonnes of wheat and rice are stocked in the country against the required 21 million tonnes. Now, the next challenge is its storage.

The top five

Punjab 11.5 million tonnes

Haryana 6.8 million tonnes

MP 4.29 million tonnes

UP 1.94 million tonnes

Rajasthan 1 million tonnes

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110603/punjab.htm#21

Just did some calculations in my head and that amount of wheat would get about 3-4 billion pounds (or possibly 30-40 billion, I really need a calculator) on the open market. Does anyone know how much does the indian government pays for it?

Just did some calculations in my head and that amount of wheat would get about 3-4 billion pounds (or possibly 30-40 billion, I really need a calculator) on the open market. Does anyone know how much does the indian government pays for it?

International wheat price for per tonne of Wheat is 336$

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=wheat

The minimum support price which is given to Indian farmers is 250$ per tonne,though private companies can pay higher price.